Saturday, February 26, 2005

PERVERSE DIVERSITY

This ia follow-up to my previous post "A Diatribe on Diversity Training".

I am sick and tired of being treated like a bigot. I haven't got a racist bone in my body! I remember when I was stuck being a supervisor of college students on work study, a female student worker accused me of treating her differently because she was black. I had to explain to my supervisor that the student was not doing her job and it had nothing to do with the color of her skin. Coincidentally, the student worker had been in trouble before so her allegations went nowhere; however, I was just stunned to be accused of that!

Which leads me to the fact that if there is any discrimination going on in the country these days, it is reverse discrimination. Working for the State, in two completely separate departments, I have experienced two blatant cases of African-Americans being kept on the job when they should have been fired.

However, being the State, they would rather move them around than deal with the repercussions for having fired a minority. In both cases, the workers did not do their jobs, were constantly missing from the workplace and took a LOT of "personal" time off of work. In the first case, the state just shuffled the female to another office and called it good. In the second case, the worker was actually the DIRECTOR of the office, making very good money. They demoted him, gave him much less work than anyone else in his position was doing, and kept his pay the same! (This was 5 years ago and he is still "working" there.)

Then there is Affirmative Action... where many minorities (whether racial or gender) get extra points when applying for jobs (both public and private sectors).

In one State office, I dealt with scholarships for college students. There are a lot of scholarships out there where a student is only eligible if he/she is an Indian, or an African-American, or Hispanic, or female. Boy, can I hear the screaming and yelling of NAACP if anyone suggested a "white only" scholarship!

Bigotry has no place in this world. I think we have made great strides in this arena. However, the diversity issue just keeps getting thrown at the white man again and again. I think it is now having an opposite effect than its original intention. Years ago, I might have enjoyed a diversity training. However, now I am just SICK of the whole issue. It is in the newspapers, on TV, on the radio, at your work place, you cannot escape it.

I am not a bigot. If I meet someone for the first time, they are going to have to prove themselves to be a friend or foe by their actions. I don't care what color they are; actions speak louder than words or color.

Can't we all just get along?

| | Pre Haloscan 12

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?